Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The shape of my story

The shape of my story just changed. I wish I could draw here, but imagine a long, winding, murky path, in some places expanding into sunshine, but most not. You are standing inside at the current end of path, looking not back, but forward. You see in front of you a wide, open spray of sun, green grass and trees, calming breeze. You stand still and breath at the wonder of it.



Living Room
New
Apartment!

Burbank Senior Artists Colony


Burbank, California




Balcony










I have just put a deposit on an apartment in Burbank, California! The main draw is, of course, my daughter, who just moved there last month. The main push is to transplant myself, reinvent myself, re-story myself.
The apartment is tiny, but I need no more. I am now starting a two-month process of organizing, selling, giving away most of what I have. And won't it be a blessing that my children won't have to face that! Although on of my sons has already offered himself and his two children for the organization and packing part. And himself and a friend for the moving!


I know I've talked in the past week about this possibility and when in doubt, don't, and wherever you go, there you are. And I followed that for almost exactly one week. I came home, settled back into my nest. As I looked at my surroundings, I thought, "I could get rid of that. That can go with me." And then I would think, "I wish I'd had the courage to jump." This morning, I called and asked if the apartment I'd looked at was still available, and Rose answered, "No, but I have a better one." 


Phone call to Alwyn, "Can you take a deposit check over to Rose?"
"Of course, we're on our way."
Later phone call from Alwyn, "I've given them the deposit, and the apartment is darling, and much better than the other one - more shaded, green. The tops of trees are reaching for the balcony. I've sent you pictures!"


She'd even sent a video in which I heard her voice saying, "Just perfect, I think we're definitely going to take this."

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Can't wait to come visit! Be sure to include a pull-out couch in your furnishings!

    ReplyDelete