Monday, July 2, 2012

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

I recently read the book, and miraculously, the movie appeared yesterday at the Angels Camp Theater. Barbaranne, Gail, and I had a fabulous dinner at the Mercantile before, and when we got to the theater they had three seats left - not together of course. The film was shown in what it called the Filming Room - a special small theater for small audience expected. I don't pretend to understand the movie house business, but this movie was sold out for more than one show.


The movie v the book. The book, as I might have already said, was somewhat dark and edgy, with many interweaving people and their stories. The movie was much lighter and softer, and many of the story lines were left out, as well as some of the characters. I wish I could read/watch side by side to be sure what changed. The movie is a gem - how could it not be with Maggie Smith, Judy Dench, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson.


I stumbled on another movie, Notes on a Scandal, also with Judy Dench and Bill Nighy, Cate Blanchett as well. It might be an old movie that I just missed? Yes and I can get it from Amazon for 2.99.


Did I say that I'd finished I Can't Remember Anything? I can't remember. In honor of Nora Ephron. If she can't remember anything, then I needn't worry too much. I was disappointed that it wasn't a novel, but she's not a novelist and this isn't a novel. I'm sure there's a name for that kind of book - David Sedaris writes them. Essays, short stories.


Reading: Fearless Jones, Walter Mosley. I thought I'd read it before I took it out of the wonderful eBook library (this one in the county next door, Tuolumne), but I hadn't. I heard Mosley do a book talk once in San Francisco and I recall him talking about the role of the black man in the family. He said the father in a black family is often misportrayed, and is, in fact, a warm and solid figure, generally speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment