Saturday, November 10, 2012

Cold November day in LA

Today I broke out the one winter coat that I moved with me from Murphys. I gave away two down jackets! I have not, however, yet turned on the heat. XieXie insists that I leave the balcony door open, but today I told him it was time to close it. 

A treat tonight. At about 3 this afternoon, just as I was thinking about what to do with the rest of my day, I got an email from my friend - a new, good friend - inviting me to dinner and theater. I was a substitute for Sally, who was stuck in Chicago and boy have I been there. Dolly didn't know what it was all about, but how could I say no? We went with a couple, and another car with three women made up our party. We learned that it was a murder mystery dinner at the Mayflower Club. The Mayflower Club is a British-American social club with philanthropic endeavors on the side. (On the side of the bar, perhaps - it was a very English pub at one end of the room.) 

I've been to one murder mystery dinner, and I shall not name where, but it was pretty awful. Some of my friends who read this ramble will probably immediately know what I am talking about. That dinner did not hold a candle to this! No - not true. The food at that dinner was vastly superior. But I digress. This was a play setting, with a well-set stage and lighting. We ate between acts, and were given ample time to talk to the actors at the end, before we cast our vote for the villain. Of course there was no lack of dinner table conversation as we discussed who was where, what the characters were like, who had the best motivation, who we liked and didn't like. I voted for the butler because somebody had to, but he didn't do it. 

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to go to a murder mystery dinner, but somehow have never made it -- oh, except for once in a train car in Palmer, MA, and it wasn't very good.

    ReplyDelete