Saturday, October 20, 2012

Sunday in Burbank

I got up early this morning. That's enough news for me! I haven't been able to get to anything before 1:30pm in weeks, but today, my pleas were answered. 

After I crawled to my feet (still sleeping on a futon on the floor), I dressed quickly to take Jenny Lind for a quick walk. The walk was shortened even further when I discovered that the fog was heavy enough to be called a drizzle, and in less than a block I was cold and damp. We in Southern California are always grateful for this problem. (Did you notice that "We"?) Came home, dried off, went to a 9:30am meeting, and then out to lunch or breakfast with my new friends. The blackboard in the entrance announced pumpkin cobbler and it sounded like breakfast to me! Not so to the cook. It wasn't ready yet, so I settled for a "senior" (meaning small and inexpensive) waffle with one perfectly cooked egg and two perfectly seasoned sausages. 

It was two o'clock, and I'd already had a perfect day, when Daniel called and we decided to go to a movie, he and Ruby and I. The plan was that I would walk down and meet them at the theater. They called after a few minutes, and said that parking was impossible, so they came to me, parked, and we three walked the half mile to a movie. By the time we got there, it was sold out, so we bought tickets for the next show, and in the festive courtyard, chose Chipotle Grill. Ruby was starving. Then to Cold Stone Creamery, next door. Then to the street, where there were two Halloween stores, and I bought my first ever, and I plan it to be my last ever, Halloween costume. (There will be pictures, but not until next week, after the Halloween Ball, where the BSAC Chorus is open the festivities.) 

Now it was time to get back to the theater. We saw a half hour of mostly commercials, including one for the movie we were about to see, then the movie started with the requisite 15 minutes of previews. I love previews. There are a lot of enticing movies coming up soon. The movie we saw was Seven Psychopaths. I give it two thumbs up, with one thumb wriggling with remnants of confusion. Violence, nudity, language, blood and gore, and a very funny script. I'd say very funny story, but I haven't quite figured the story out yet.

All this a half-mile walk from my apartment. Which is more like a hotel. I will sleep tonight with much gratitude.


A cultural note: The ticket for me cost $11.50. The same movie in Sonora would cost $7.50. But they well might not show it in Sonora. And then the gas to drive to Sonora from Murphys and bakc might make up for the lower cost!

1 comment:

  1. My son always says that the best thing about a movie are the previews which precede it!

    ReplyDelete