Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Beautiful Downtown Burbank


You'll never guess what lies behind these doors. It's not a saloon, it's not a museum. It's the downtown Burbank Post Office - officially named by Congress in 2003 as the Bob Hope Post Office. It's a building decorated by the WPA (Works Progress Administration for trivia buffs and I had to look it up); the mural below was painted in 1940 by Barse Miller, and is "a reminder of the industry that made this community a boom town," according to the LA Times.



The day today included - in addition to my first trip to my new post office - a 5am trip to LAX with Alwyn, a poetry class, a chorus rehearsal and a drama class. A trip to Ralph's, the grocery store, made my day as I found they carry both the dog food, cat food, and kitty litter that are necessities for Jenny Lind and XieXie. As crowning glory, a new friend invited me to have supper with her after the drama rehearsal. She plays Ima Snoot, defendant, to my role as Prosecutor, in a trial that addresses charges of involuntary snobbitude and big mouthatry.

No comments:

Post a Comment