Monday, October 22, 2012

Burbank Senior Artists Colony

Which shall be referenced from here on out as BSAC. 

I love my laundry room. It's right down the hall, has two washers and two dryers, and I've not yet seen a traffic jam. The people I have run into there have been up for conversation, which makes folding clothes so much less of a chore. The room is clean and bright and now so are my clothes. One last load in the dryer now, and then I can go to bed early at 10.

Another housekeeping chore done today. I went to Kaiser Permanente in Glendale for a conference on their Senior Advantage program. The conference was thorough and informative and professional and, like so many things with this move, with this time in my life, the choice is an easy one and as plain as plain can be. I am in favor of Kaiser in principle, since they are the closest thing we have to socialized medicine. In fact, should we ever arrive at that (ahem) fine state, Kaiser will probably be at the front of the parade. Okay. Off my soap box.

Resident Writing Group this afternoon, and you, my readers, will be relieved that I was encouraged to be terser. I wrote a short story in 20 minutes that was well received. Then I read the story I finished from last week and after the initial burst, I managed to put everyone to sleep. Much as criticism is a jagged pill for me to swallow, I am grateful to my new friends for their feedback. I think I'm grateful. Who knows, they might be squashing the new Joyce James. Whose brother put all of us to sleep.

Then a lovely evening walk downtown and home again to laundry. 

I learned tonight - by my keen observation of city signs that had gone unnoticed for five weeks now - that this whole section of Burbank is a non smoking town, at least in public places, like on the street or in outdoor restaurants. 

This is all heavenly.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. After this Friday, when I get a bed. My first visitor is coming on Sunday. We three look forward to seeing Kate.

      Delete