Saturday, September 29, 2012

Queen Mary and Vollendam

Today I met Alwyn for lunch on the Queen Mary, which, as you may know, is permanently docked in Long Beach (take the 5 to the 170 and you're there) and is a tourist destination. Her ship, the Vollendam, was parked? berthed? docked? right next to the Queen, and here's a picture of Alwyn and the Vollendam.
She's standing in the gazebo in I think the stern of the Queen Mary, and her ship is behind her. She sailed with them down from Vancouver, and took off at sunset today for Hawaii. She'll fly home for a few days and then fly back to Hawaii to join another ship. Ruby and I talked the other evening about the fact that since we're both newcomers, we deserve to go to every tourist spot in LA. There's a Russian submarine docked with the Queen Mary, and I really want to see that, and do a tour of the Queen as well. I don't know if I believe in the La Brea tar pits, but then I didn't really believe in Burbank not long ago. New worlds!

On another note (pun intended - or at least not avoided), I sang tonight for the first time with the BSAC chorus. A group of seven, plus the pianist/conductor. I am sorry that Dan and Ruby were sick and couldn't come to either lunch or to the show tonight. I would really like to hear their comments! We sang only one song - That's Entertainment - and the rest of the show were guest artists - singers and comedians. Think Marigold Hotel, please. It was nice to find dressy clothes, black and white, and spruce up a bit. I've worn nothing but shorts and t-shirts since I've been here. Oh, yes, a dress last weekend for the Pacific Symphony concert. And I'm sure that it was because of my elegant attire that I was asked to come to the BSAC players this Wednesday. Quite a whirl.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're adjusting well, and enjoying yourself which makes me smile!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete