Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Our American Cousin

After sitting staring at boxes (none of which emptied themselves!) most of the day, after sleeping late in the morning, I took myself down to the theater (I think it's on the first floor, but I'm still a little confused about which is first floor and which is ground floor). On the boards tonight was a reading of the play Our American Cousin, which is best known as the play that Lincoln was attending when he was shot by one of the actors, John Wilkes Booth, at a moment of great laughter in the farce. The reading was by a group called Theater Neo. I loved it! There was a narrator, or commentator, sitting to the side of the stage, and he explained some of the more obscure passages, told us what had been left out of the original production, which was four hours long, and made topical political comments along the way. None of those comments were right-wing or redneck.

The audience was small, I thought, but I was told that it was a good turnout. Some attendees seemed a little bewildered, or asleep, but the rest of us found it very funny! It is still mind-bending to be able to put my keys in my pocket, walk down a wide, picture-lined hallway and find an event like this. 

One more positive note: I've taken Jenny Lind's muzzle off for our walks. She seems calm around the dogs that we pass, and the more that happens, the more calm we both will be. City girls, both of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment