Saturday, August 25, 2012

Spinning my wheels

It has got to be officially over, my wheel spinning time. The boxes are waiting (in the car) and my household goods are not going to sort and pack themselves. I remember many moves.

Many places in Cambridge and Boston after graduation in '62. I think I generally borrowed a car and threw stuff in. One time I recall wrapping everything in a sheet bundle. 

Boston to San Francisco, 1967. I packed everything, including my cat, in my VW convertible and drove across country. For the first few years I was in SF, I didn't pick up much stuff, so moves were still easy. 

There was a move in San Anselmo (Marin County) that was from one house to the house next door, so everything was carried. My first husband, Mel, exhausted from carrying furniture - by this time we had accumulated furniture as well and stuff. He saw some plants that needed watering, and got a jar of water, and tripped over something and fell and cut his wrist quite deep. We went to the ER to have him sewn up. When we got home, I called first bath, but as I was getting ready to soak, my water broke, and we drove into San Francisco where our son, Will, was born at 4:30am. The whole labor I was holding on - for dear life - to Mel's bandaged wrist, and he never flinched. 

Many more moves after that, I finally graduated to a moving company, but this one my son, Mathew, and a friend of his, are moving me. I won't quite be down to just a VW load, but I am moving to a 650 square-foot one-bedroom apartment, and I'd like to furnish it sparely. It is time to let go of most things that surround me, and move and live with mindful simplicity. 

1 comment: