Friday, June 22, 2012

Television

I have not watched television for about six weeks. The last time I was watching it, in the middle of a program, the picture went. I confess I don't remember what I was watching; nothing that I watch is particularly memorable. Electrical Thorazine. Tune in; drop out. DirecTV said, six weeks ago, that the signal was coming into my house, so there was nothing they could do. I mulled it over for the six weeks, and decided that I was just fine without TV, so I called to cancel. This disturbed them so much that they reduced my fees by two-thirds, and sent someone out. Problem found, and worked around, me left with a lot of worthless equipment, but working television.


That was Tuesday, and it's now Friday, and I made a decision this evening to take the plunge back into oblivion, and watch (or erase) the shows I've TiVo'd over the past month and a half. With embarrassing effort, I unglued myself from the screen, and picked up my laptop to write, and to confess how easily I am addicted to anything that will take me out of myself. But at least I get to watch the end of House.

3 comments:

  1. Try reading Marie Winn (also a Cliffie), THE PLUG-IN DRUG. The title speaks for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One-click order from Amazon! Gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For financial reasons, I shut my satellite TV off about five months ago. I miss the oblivion it provides at times, but it forces me to read and write more. I'm sure I'll buckle and have it again someday, but it's kind of weird looking at the dead boxes and thinking maybe I should just get rid of them altogether!

    Bethie

    ReplyDelete