Friday, June 29, 2012

Kangaroo rat

I've been thinking a lot at night about the mouse that died in my house. I'd written that it was a kangaroo mouse, but that didn't quite fit, since the mouse's habitat is only in the southwest desert. I thought about what this creature looked like, and aside from its small arms and long, strong legs and its cuteness, its notable feature was a long black tail, in fact a tail that I associate with rats, except it wasn't pink. 


Here is a picture of a Kangaroo Rat, genus dipodomys - not mouse nor rat. The pictures I've found of the kangaroo mouse, genus microdipodops, show them to be nearly identical, so we'll go with habitat.


'6
This will maybe teach me to do better research before I dispose of my subject, and before I start writing about it!


Rest in peace, little dipodomys.


Finished The Women's Room and will start Nora Ephron's I Remember Nothing. Norah Ephron died June 26, 2012, was also the Class of '62, Wellesley. I have much to say about The Women's Room - tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Nora Ephron was responsible for some of my favorite films; films such as Sleepless in Seattle & You've Got Mail!

    ReplyDelete